[postgis-users] GEOS / Predicates Update

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 10:58:43 PDT 2003

>>- You mentioned that one solution may be to use newer compilers.  Would
>>that mean that all three components (PostgreSQL, GEOS and PostGIS) would
>>need to be compiled with these?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't
>>seem like a big deal to me.  Wouldn't that just be a matter of downloading
>>the latest compilers and recompiling these things *IF* you want GEOS
>>support (which I do)?  Or am I over simplifying..
>
>We are trying to make it as simple as possible for people - most people
>will find it difficult to update their machines.
>dave

That is certainly understandable.  I guess I have the luxury of being a new
installation and in flux, so it's not an issue for me compared to someone
that has guidelines to follow or an established/functioning environment.
However, if the 3 options are:
1) recompile/reinstall
2) rewrite GEOS
3) have an unstable system

#1 seems like the obvious choice to me... but maybe more people will weigh
in on the options or weigh in with a solution.  Wish I could help out with a
fix, but I still can't even figure out what the little pointy thingys "->"
in C mean  :-)