[postgis-users] question with loading postgis.sql

Nelson Tong nel_tong at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:29:17 PDT 2003

I have just successfully compiled and installed  postgis with
PostgreSQL7.2.2 and redhat 7.3 (Thanks alot for your help, Darren and
Chris).

As following the installation documentation, I enabled PL/pgSQL, but when I
tried to load the PostGIS object and funtions defintion with postgis.sql
(psql -d [databasename] -f postgis.sql], I got the following erros:

NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
transactio
n block
*ABORT STATE*
[...]
COMMIT

When I checked the pgsql database to which I tried to load 'postgis.sql', no
fuction has actually been created.   Then I decided to use the test script
in 'postgis.sql' to see if PL/PgSQL is installed in the database, the result
of the query was:

                                                              message

You must install PL/PgSQL before running this SQL file,
or
you will get an error. To install PL/PgSQL run:
        createlang plpgsql <dbname>
(1 row)

So I ran 'cretelang plpgsql <dbname>' (which I have already done before I
attempted to load pstgis.sql), pgsql told me that:

'createlang: language "plpgsql" is already installed in database <dbname>'

I tried to change USE_PG72=0 line to USE_PG72=1 (in the Makefile) since this
is listed as one of the  suggestions under the Common Problems heading of
the documentation, But I couldn't find there is such a line in the Makefile.
Has anyone have similar problems when try to load the file 'postgis.sql'?

S.T.