[postgis-users] pg-dump from postgis 0.8 to 0.9.1

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Thu Dec 16 03:37:46 PST 2004

Hi, Jean David,

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:28:55 +0100
"TECHER Jean David" <davidtecher at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> I don't think that's a great idea to dump postgis functions since postgis
> functions are in a librairy
>
> First of all, dumping implies that you need to updates version so
> uninstalling old version (postgis, geos and so on...)...

Dumping does not imply that you're upgrading.

There exist things like transferring a data set to another machine, or
some people even do backups.

The problem is that we need both: We need all_included dumps that
contain all function definitions (and depend on having the correct
libpostgis.so lingering around).

And we need the possibility to transfer everything (data, schema,
functions etc.) except the PostGIS schema definitions when we want to
update to a newer postgis release.

I think the current way (dump everything, allow filtering on restore) is
the best compromise.

Happy GISsing,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich