[postgis-users] java and postgis: your suggestions and ideas

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Feb 3 11:56:01 PST 2004

Seamus Thomas Carroll wrote:

>For the past two weeks I have been working with the GISToolKitEditor
>changing it to suite my needs.  I did some testing today where I add a few
>layers from the database and zoom in.  As I zoom in closer a specific
>layer begins to distort or disappear.  It is not a postgis issue because i

It really just sounds like you are running into accuracy issues, The
conversion from double coordinates maintained by Postgis to the Java
Shape which use float are probably to blame.  Try and take manual
control of the zoom process and make sure doubles are used for as long
as possible.

>2) I may be forced to change java libraries so can anyone recommend a
>different java library that I can use as a stand alone tool?

JUMP Exists, has a Postgis loader. It is GPL, runs as a stand alone tool.
GeoTools2 exists has a Postgis data store and some renderers, it is not
a stand alone tool. But is LGPL.

>I have other suggestions and question but I have not recieved a response
>to my first question on the GISToolkit Sourceforge website.

Cheers,
Jody, Refractions Research