[postgis-users] Improving Performance

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Feb 19 13:36:51 PST 2004

> > Interesting idea.  In my case, almost all my data is in UTM.  Could
the
> > geometries then just be INTEGER pairs and not FLOATS?>
>
> Arrgh.... I like the idea of a lite version, but all my data is decimal
> degrees,
> so integers wouldn't help much :-) Which projection would be the only
one
> supported?

Ha!  You're kind - you didn't laugh at me (out loud).  But what's the
problem, decimal degrees are just two pairs of two pairs of integers
separated by a decimal point ;)  I thought it was a fun idea - our data is
in UTM and it cracks me up to think that in some cases I have 3-4 decimal
places - that is, sub metre coordinates when the data collection was only
within 10m accuracy!

I'm all for a lite version, but am more interested in a highly optimized
main version.  I'm just starting to learn to tweaks and tricks others have
tried out for a while.  Thanks for the discussion folks.

Tyler