[postgis-users] GeomUnion function

Hubert Fröhlich hubert.froehlich at bvv.bayern.de
Tue May 18 07:24:38 PDT 2004

Hi list,

I am working with Postgis 0.8.1 and GEOS 1.0.0, PostgreSQL 7.4.1 .

I want to use the GeomUnion(geometry1, geometry2) function.

When I apply GeomUnion on two arbitrary MULTIpolygons, I receive
MULTIPOLYGONS or POLYGONS, depending on the relationship between the two
geometries.

However, when I want to insert the result into a table, I have to decide
upon using only one geometry type.

If the result is a MULTIPOLYGON and I insert a to a table with
MULTIPOLYGONS, everything is fine.
If the result is a POLYGON and I insert a to a table with MULTIPOLYGONS,
I get a constraint violation like

ERROR:  new row for relation "lkrx" violates check constraint "$2"

What I need is a function converting Polygons into Multipolygons or a
GeomUnion function forcing MULTI... results.

How can I do that?

Regards,

Hubert

Dr.-Ing. Hubert Fröhlich
Bezirksfinanzdirektion München
Alexandrastr. 3, D-80538 München, GERMANY
Tel. :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2980
Fax  :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2997
hubert dot froehlich at bvv dot bayern dot de