[postgis-users] gps points to postgis

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Mon Nov 1 15:52:19 PST 2004

Hi,
  I have a text file of dms coordinates from a gps, which I would like to add to my database. The
file is ~8500 lines. I would like to be able to represent the journey on a mapserver map, using a
line instead of dots.

  What is the best way to store this? I have some road LINESTRINGs which are ~100 pairs of
coordinates, but storing 8500 pairs in one LINESTRING doesn't seem to me like the right way to go
about it. If I store them as single POINT records, can I represent it as a line in mapserver?

  Recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike