[postgis-users] I posted some mapserver and postgis debs

Fred McDavid frm at bitdaddy.com
Thu Sep 23 11:08:48 PDT 2004

I'd be willing to participate in a group that maintains a few packages like
these (others would be great...I'd like to see ossim as well).  With the
constraints on my time being what they are, there's just no way I could try
and do it by myself.

Would there be any interest in forming a group of interested developers to
maintain several gis-related packages?

--Fred

On Thursday 23 September 2004 06:52 am, Silke Reimer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:37:44PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Fred McDavid (frm at bitdaddy.com) wrote:
> > > I've put together some debs for mapserver, libgeos, and postgis.  I
> > > also included new versions of postgresql and php4 due to issues
> > > involving regexps for mapserver and linking issues with postgis.  I
> > > recommend using caution as this is my first attempt at making packages.
> > >  A blank slate install is probably a good idea.
> >
> > Interesting.  Which distribution (Woody, sarge, sid?) did you make the
> > debs for?  I created some debs for postgis, and I think maybe libgeos, a
> > while ago.  I think I posted to this list about them as well, but not
> > 100% sure.  I had to compile mapserver from CVS because of some problems
> > there and didn't make a deb of it, though that's certainly an
> > interesting idea.
> >
> > > Please try them and report errors to frm at bitdaddy.com.  Errors with
> > > patches and/or instructions regarding their fixes will float to the top
> > > of the todo list.
> > >
> > > Binary and source packages can be found via:
> > > http://www.bitdaddy.com/gisdebs/index.html
> >
> > Mine are here, compiled for sid a little while ago:
> > http://colo.snowman.net/~sfrost/postgis/
> >
> > For the things I've done with them, the packages have worked fine for
> > me. :)  Also, are you interested in maintaining these for Debian?  I was
> > thinking about doing that (I'm a Debian Developer) but hadn't gotten
> > around to actually uploading my debs to the archive.
>
> What prevented you to do so? I would be very interested in having
> postgis in debian. There has been an ITP for postgis in 2002 but
> since now we still haven't postgis in debian
>
> Being debian maintainer for gdal and thuban I know of course that it
> is rather time consuming to maintain a package but since there seem
> to be several attempts to build a debian postgis package and to get
> it into debian the effort could perhaps be joined thus having some
> co-maintainers for postgis.
>
> What do you think?
>
> 	Silke
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-wnpp/2002/05/msg00109.html

Fred R. McDavid, III
  540-248-0838
    frm at bitdaddy.com
      BitDaddy Systems, Inc
       * Complex System Design, Management, and Hosting