[postgis-users] upgrade benefits re. high load

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Sep 30 07:35:15 PDT 2004

It was indeed a backhanded reference to lwgeom, whose primary benefit
is to do everything hwgeom does, but in much less space. So, if you
have a really huge database, the lwgeom version of it will be smaller,
as will the indexes. If your problem is one of query load, assuming you
have a large amount of memory in your current production database,
lwgeom probably won't make a large difference, because all the
important stuff relating to your hwgeom database is probably cached in
memory anyways.

Have you done any tuning to your pgsql installation at all? Possibly
some tuning of your database server would be sufficient to make you get
better performance, without the need to move on to lwgeom. Really, if
you don't have > 1million tuples in your database, lwgeom is unlikely
to make much difference to you one way or another.

On Thursday, September 30, 2004, at 07:19 AM, Purvis, Charlton wrote:

> Anyway, if one of you czars out there wouldn't mind letting me know
> what was meant by high load improvement, I'd be thankful.  I'm
> woefully afraid of having to drop the db's to upgrade, so it would
> have to be a bright light at the end of that tunnel to push me in that
> direction.

      Paul Ramsey
      Refractions Research
      Email: pramsey at refractions.net