[postgis-users] upgrade benefits re. high load

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Sep 30 09:08:33 PDT 2004

Tuning PostGIS == Tuning PostgreSQL, with the minor exception of running
update_geometry_stats() regularly on <=7.4 version databases.

Tuning PostgreSQL (or any database) is a dark art, but there are a
couple references (note to self, write definitive reference on
PostgreSQL tuning, ... profit!)

- http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html
- http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/hw_performance/

Note that we spatial people generally have a simpler tuning case than
"real" DBAs, because our databases usually have practically no
transactional load: they are pure batch loaded, with a heavy read load
and very light write load. (I await someone giving me their counter
example, it would probably make a great PostGIS white paper.)

Paul