[postgis-users] PostGIS and TIGER/GML

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Sep 30 09:56:49 PDT 2004

* Paul Ramsey (pramsey at refractions.net) wrote:
> Basically we are denormalizing and in places generalizing (in the
> "cartographic" tables) TIGER for easier use for analytics and mapping.
> We are also doing a mapserver map file that uses the tables we are
> creating to make really nice base maps.

Hmm, I have to say I don't particularly care for denormalization in
general except via views..  I havn't had any performance issues yet with
what I've been doing though.

> Since TIGER is freely redistributable, when we have run the whole data
> set, we will re-export the results as dump files by state, so people can
> load up the tables they want. Hopefully the postgis user population is
> not so large that they will give us a massive bandwidth bill on the
> downloads.

That would be very nice, I'm very curious about it.  I'd probably be
willing to host some of that data too, if you're running into bandwidth
issues.

	Stephen