[postgis-users] Early Special: 1.0.0 Released

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Apr 20 11:00:50 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 01:49:09PM -0400, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Awesome job guys!
>
> I have a question on upgrading because I have never done that before.
> I'm on FreeBSD and use the portsupgrade utility so it just pretty much
> happens. The problem with this is I don't have access to an of the new
> info until after the upgrade (I should browse CVS I guess).
>
> My question is do I need to do the dump before the upgrade? or is the
> dump utility smart enough to dump the old format also. And if so, what
> is the command I should use to do the dump the  tables?

The online manual show be clear enough, and fixed if is not.
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch02.html#upgrading

Actually.. there's probably an important note missing, which
is that the dump phase (first step) must be done *before*
the new postgis is installed.

The 'make install' command must be given after the dump has
been produced and *before* the postgis_restore.pl script
is invoked. Running postgis_restore.pl *before* the new
postgis library is installed might result in unresolved
references but since you have the dump you can restore
again after installing the new one.

VERY IMPORTANT: make your dumps BEFORE installing the
new postgis !

--strk;