[postgis-users] GTK/Gnome GIS Client

Silke Reimer Silke.Reimer at intevation.de
Mon Aug 8 01:41:26 PDT 2005

Hi!

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 08:07:56PM -0400, Scott Ellington wrote:
> This is slightly offtopic but, has anyone else come across the need for
> a Gtk/Gnome Client for GIS?  I have searched and found nothing viable
> like QGIS for KDE.  Fmaps (http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/ ) is the only
> one I have found, and it appears inactive.
>
> I would be happy with just a postgis table/shapefile viewer, but would
> like more features.  Would anyone be willing to contribute on such a
> project?

Perhaps you could build your features upon Thuban [1]. Thuban is written
in Python and the multi-platform GUI toolkit wxPython. Thus on
GNU/Linux systems you have indeed a client using the GTK-libraries.
Thuban has already native postgis and shapefile driver and can join
dbf-tables.

Many greetings,

	Silke Reimer

[1] http://thuban.intevation.org

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/