[postgis-users] Getting started with Java

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon Aug 8 01:38:10 PDT 2005

Hi, Ehud,

Ehud Shabtai wrote:

> I'd like to start using postgis from Java.
> I've been reading some material in the net but I still got some questions:
>
> What is the best way to read and write Geometry objects?
> I need to perform some GIS calculation and so I guess I need JTS to do
> that. I noticed that the opengis Java driver doesn't support JTS (it's
> beta), so I found wkb4j which seems to do what I need. However, I'm
> not sure how can I encode a JTS Geometry object to a wkb format for
> writing new objects to postgis.
>
> Are there any other alternatives for Java? Any alternatives for JTS
> which work with the postgis Java driver?

If you use the 1.0CVS PostGIS, the jdbc2 JTS support should work for
basic operations (writing and reading data).

It still needs some polishing (proper use of GeometryFactories,
regression tests, updated SRID working etc.), but it should be quite
usable now (despite being still called experimental).

Any user feedback is appreciated.

Markus