[postgis-users] Postgis Simplify

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Aug 8 03:56:17 PDT 2005

Christo Du Preez wrote:
> Sorry for being stupid but if my data is in [lat/lon wgs84], what should
> I do to Simplify it as much as possible and also for the result to be in
> [lat/lon wgs84]?

To get a consistent buffer to simplify in, you can do something like the
following (which is what I used to simplify lat/long data around Antarctica,
where useing degree units is not ideal):

transform(simplify(transform(geometry, SRID) , 100), 4326)

where SRID is the value for a more appropriate projection (equidistant ones are
reasonable). So you reproject (transform) to a projection to carry out the
simplify process, then reproject back to your lat/long WGS84 projection.

Hope this helps...

   Brent Wood