[postgis-users] Postgresql not using Spatial Index

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 07:21:09 PDT 2005

Hi Dave,

Have you tried setting the effective_cache_size parameter for your laptop as
well? This is used to calculate how many tuples are cached outside of shared
buffers (i.e. incur very little disk I/O). I generally find setting
effective_cache_size correctly and reducing random_page_cost to 2 solves
nearly all index problems.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere on -hackers recently that 5% was
the fixed threshold between index and sequential scans (determined by
PostgreSQL), but I can't find a reference to it in the archives at the
moment.

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd