[postgis-users] GTK/Gnome GIS Client

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 16 17:49:17 PDT 2005

Paul Ramsey napisał(a):
> This is getting extremely OT but:
> Our uDig experience is that it's not the language it's the
> implementation.  There's lots of stupid inefficient ways to render
> stuff, and only a few efficient smart ways.  If you pick a stupid  way,
> you language means nada.  Anyhow, doing things the smart way our  Java
> implementation seems to run as fast as ESRI's C++  implementation, so
> there you go (for whatever that is worth, which is  little).

Yes you are certainly right.
I'm just asking about experiences the Author has witn mono.
In my opinion .NET applications aren't very robust
(weak memory management, you are not able to force GC to destroy
objects, etc.) but it is a matter of taste.
Of cource you don't have to allocate huge structures and collections
in memory as Manifold does, but read all data straight from file
as ArcView.
I have experience with GIS applications on Windows CE mostly, where
resocerces are very limited.
On desktop you may install 3 GHz CPU and TB of RAM,
but when you have 200MHz and 64 MB RAM on Pocket PC device
then you have not many choices.
Mobile GIS apps in .NET are extremly slow, that's what I experienced
and that's why I'm asking.
Definitely, I'm not going to return this thread to technology war :-)

Cheers

--
Mateusz Łoskot, mateusz (at) loskot (dot) net
Registered Linux User #220771