[postgis-users] shp2pgsql and multibyte shape files

Jorg Heymans jh at domek.be
Thu Aug 18 08:10:53 PDT 2005

Hi,

Does shp2pgsql support multibyte characters in shapefiles ? We are
trying to upload a shapefile containing japanese characters into our
database without success :

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "EUC_JPZ" 0x956c
ROLLBACK  COPY bu_major, line 9, column a: "¬§Ùl¬w

for other similar shapefiles we get

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "EUC_JP": 0x956c
ROLLBACK COPY merkel, line 1, column a: "Ƽùºè┘òlżèwìZ"

(note how the first errormessage talks about EUC_JPZ and the second
about EUC_JP)

The database [2] is setup with EUC_JP encoding. I verified this by
inserting japanese into it over JDBC.

Thoughts ?

Regards
Jorg Heymans

[1]
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2005-January/000798.html
[2]
POSTGIS="1.0.2" GEOS="2.1.3" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct 2004" USE_STATS
DBPROC="0.3.0" RELPROC="0.3.0"