[postgis-users] can't add geometry columns

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Sat Aug 20 10:26:14 PDT 2005

I'm a newbie to PostGIS and couldn't find this on any FAQs....

I'm trying out PostGIS and was glad to see the installation for PostgreSQL
went very smoothly under Windows. I've been using PostgreSQL for a few
months now and love it. I have a project I want to store geometry for and
thought PostGIS was the perfect extension, especially since I can create
shapefiles from the PostGIS database. I downloaded the latest version of
PostGIS and it seemed to install alright. I then ran the following code to
add the two required tables:

CREATE TABLE SPATIAL_REF_SYS (
  SRID INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
  AUTH_NAME VARCHAR(256),
  AUTH_SRID INTEGER,
  SRTEXT VARCHAR(2048),
  PROJ4TEXT VARCHAR(2048)
);

-- add a projection... and then some data...
-- just add them all...
\i c:/newproj/scripts/spatial_ref_sys.sql

-- now ad the geometry columns
CREATE TABLE GEOMETRY_COLUMNS (
  F_TABLE_CATALOG VARCHAR(256) NOT NULL,
  F_TABLE_SCHEMA VARCHAR(256) NOT NULL,
  F_TABLE_NAME VARCHAR(256) NOT NULL,
  F_GEOMETRY_COLUMN VARCHAR(256) NOT NULL,
  COORD_DIMENSION INTEGER NOT NULL,
  SRID INTEGER NOT NULL,
  TYPE VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL
);

And then added, as a test, the roads table from the help file:

CREATE TABLE roads ( ROAD_ID int4, ROAD_NAME varchar(128) );
SELECT AddGeometryColumn( 'roads', 'roads_geom', -1, 'GEOMETRY', 3 );

ERROR:  function addgeometrycolumn("unknown", "unknown", "unknown", integer,
"unknown", integer) does not exist
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need
to add explicit type casts.

I tried a few combinations of the command to no avail. I'm running postresql
8.0.0 and PostGIS 1.0.3

select version();
                                         version
 PostgreSQL 8.0.0 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
(mingw-special)
(1 row)

select postgis_full_version();
ERROR:  function postgis_full_version() does not exist
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need
to add explicit type casts.

Does this mean it didn't install?

I'm sure this is a minor thing in either the docs or the code, but I'm not
sure how to get past this...

Thanks for the help,
Jeff.

---