[postgis-users] 'server closed the connection unexpectedly' problem

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Sun Jan 30 01:19:29 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:36:26AM -0800, Ionut Iordache wrote:
> Hello,
>
> srn> MM.. this is the second weird bug report related to points, but I
> srn> can't reproduce this as well (PGGIS-1.0.0RC2 / PGSQL-7.4.3).
>
> srn> Can you try RC2, creating a *new* db ?
> srn> Can reproduce the bug on a single record ?
> srn> What OS are you using ? Which compiler used to build postgis ?
>
> srn> --strk;
>
> Yes, I can reproduce the bug on a single point in a brand new db, with
> my current postgis version...
>
> I'll give it a try with RC2, although if it works it will be really
> painful to transfer again the 45GB or more of data that I loaded before
> extensively testing my release :(
>
> I should have mentioned in my initial post, my os is Solaris 8 (sparc)
> and everything compiled with gcc 3.4.1.
>
> Anyway, is there anything more that I can do to troubleshot this
> problem? It's very frustrating because even with debug5 enabled in the
> logs, there's no hint about what goes wrong... I have the suspicion
> that things break when postgres tries to actually load and use symbols
> from liblwgeom.so.1.0

You can use a memory debugger, gdb or valgrind. Attached to the
postgres process. You might want to follow the thread with subject:
``Crash when creating index on ( int, geom )''. There Mark Cave-Ayland
is helping in running gdb.

> The only anomaly during compilation was that I had to specifically
> link it against the gcc library because my configuration uses sun's
> linker and it couldn't find a symbol (eprintf if I remember correctly)
> defined in a static gcc library.

asprintf, probably, which is a GNU extension.
lwgeom/vsprintf.c contains it's implementation, anyway, so you
shouldn't get a warning (it is defined in lwgeom/compat.h).

--strk;