[postgis-users] I can't use contains (Postgis compiled with GEOS)

Rhys Ickeringill rhysi at omnilink.com.au
Wed Jun 1 20:58:37 PDT 2005

Jamie,

I'm still pretty new to all this, so could easily be misguiding you.

If you are using linux, find and cd into the directory where
liblwgeom.so.1.0 resides (mine is in /usr/local/pgsql/lib). Execute `ldd
liblwgeom.so.1.0` and it will give you a listing of the library dependancies
of liblwgeom.so.1.0. In this list should be libgeos.so.2.

If it is not listed at all, you haven't compiled in support for GEOS. If it
is listed as being "not found", you need to move libgeos.so.2.1.1 into a
directory where the linux dynamic linker looks for libraries. How you find
out where this is varies between linux flavours - looking at your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is one, studying /etc/ld.conf is another.

Given what you have described, I would suggest the first option is most
likely the problem, which means GEOS was not successfully found during
compilation, despite your changes to Makefile.config.

HTH

Rhys