[postgis-users] PostGis to ArcCatalog

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Jun 7 06:21:25 PDT 2005

Bruce,
The PgArc extension, which is a first-order attempt at connectivity,
is the only working solution I am aware of. I have long wanted to
attack OleDB, but with the knowledge that it is a lot of work and
opaque code, have waited for someone to step up with funding to do
the work. If you want to attempt it yourself, I would suggest the
first thing to do would be turn on statement logging in your
PostgreSQL database so you can see what ArcCatalog is asking of your
database. That would clarify your problems relatively quickly.
For the record, I recently tried the PgOleDb libraries, and did not
get any success in ArcCatalog, even with non-spatial tables. I think
getting stuff truly working would involve a great deal of testing
across every version and patch of the Arc* suite. What Arc* version
were you testing? (I was trying Arc8)
Paul