[postgis-users] Vacuum analyse ERROR: Operation ontwoGEOMETRIESwith different SRIDs

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 05:03:13 PDT 2005

Hi strk,

Yeah, in this case I think the application should be able to work around it,
but that's perhaps a different argument ;) I agree that clobbering users in
an ANALYZE is not a friendly thing to do, as if tables don't get ANALYZEd
then your system can end up running quite badly - but then again this is the
first complaint we've had about this so far.

As a compromise, how about just changing the semantics for the btree "less
than" and "equals" operators to the following:

	i) PG 7.1 - issue a NOTICE but continue
	ii) PG > 7.1 and PG < 8.0 - issue a WARNING but continue

As long as we document this in the relevant sections of the btree ops code
then we should be OK, since these versions are a fixed target and so we can
guarantee that no other operators will get used as part of the ANALYZE. I
don't think I would like to lessen the strictness checks any less than this
though, and it's probably not good to start shouting in the docs that
mixed-SRID columns are a supported feature ;)

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way