AW: [postgis-users] I need geo-database ?

Uwe Seher uwe.seher at arteng.de
Wed Jun 29 01:47:08 PDT 2005

Hello!

> I am new to postgis and geo-database.

Welcome in a fascinating new world ;)

> In ESRI's shape file has a shape column. But it is closed to see the
> geometric shape with coordinates.  And one can not query on real
> coordinates on  table.

In the Shape-column are the coordinates of the geometry in a binary format.
I think it is something (or it is) like WKB-format from PostGIS. You can
access the coordinates and objects in the shape-column by programming in
Arcobjects.

> Can you tell me more about the comparision of geo-table with
> conventiaonal table ?

The difference is only the geometry-column where the geometry is stored.
With this Field you can make some geoprocessing functions directly in the
database and you dont have to bother ArcGIS ;).

> so I could say that I need geo-database  and  conventianal  table (and
> ESRI' shape file)
> are not enough to carry out certain works.

No, in theory you need only a geodatabase table (or a view) with a
geometry-field. You can handle it as a common db-table.
In the real world you get some problems, because ArcGIS doesnt process the
PostGIS-Formt. But ther is the pgArc-extension on sourcforge and myself is
working on something comparable.

> What does geo-table provide more than conventional-table does ?

the geometry-field. And PostGIS some additional Functionality. Geo-tables in
MySQL for example can only handle the geometry without functionality.

> kind regards
>
> regards
>
> Ahmet Temiz

Greetings