[postgis-users] Non-GPL/LGPL C++ libs?

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Jun 29 10:02:17 PDT 2005

Hello, Owen,

Owen Jacobson wrote:

> The "recommended" library for working with geomatic data stored in postgis
> seems to be GEOS -- which looks like a gorgeous library and I'd love to use
> it.  However, the company I'm writing for is unwilling to accept GPL or LGPL
> libraries (specifically -- they've nothing against open source in general).

Is it really specifically to the (L)GPL licenses, or is it against
copylefted licenses?

Btw, there's nothing stopping you from including LGPL software into any
proprietary project, you do not have to open any single line of your
self-written code.

Changing the GEOS licensing is very unlikely, because at least some of
the GEOS maintainers stronly believe in free software, and it is heavily
based on JTS which is LGPL itsself.

> Are there other decent alternatives for working with postgis data in C++?

None that I am aware of.

Markus