[postgis-users] Non-GPL/LGPL C++ libs?

Owen Jacobson ojacobson at osl.com
Wed Jun 29 10:14:33 PDT 2005

Markus Schaber wrote:

> Owen Jacobson wrote:
>
> > The "recommended" library for working with geomatic data
> stored in postgis
> > seems to be GEOS -- which looks like a gorgeous library and
> I'd love to use
> > it.  However, the company I'm writing for is unwilling to
> accept GPL or LGPL
> > libraries (specifically -- they've nothing against open
> source in general).
>
> Is it really specifically to the (L)GPL licenses, or is it against
> copylefted licenses?

Copylefted licenses in general, I suspect, but we've only run into
managerial veto on GPL and LGPL licenses specifically.

> Btw, there's nothing stopping you from including LGPL
> software into any
> proprietary project, you do not have to open any single line of your
> self-written code.

I'm well aware of that, and I'm doing my best to convence manglement of that
as well, but in the interim I'm also looking to get my job done with the
tools I can use.

> Changing the GEOS licensing is very unlikely, because at least some of
> the GEOS maintainers stronly believe in free software, and it
> is heavily
> based on JTS which is LGPL itsself.

Aye, I didn't expect or really want GEOS' license changed.  I like the LGPL
approach, personally, and if I were writing for myself I'd use it as-is in a
heartbeat.

> > Are there other decent alternatives for working with
> postgis data in C++?
>
> None that I am aware of.

Foo.  Any suggestions for tools in other languages?

Owen