[postgis-users] Ready for 1.0.0 ?

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 02:46:19 PST 2005

Hi Markus,

(cut)

> Well, this naming "jdbc2" is just somehow misleading. I just
> checked in an updated README file, containing the following
> additional explanation:
>
> | * It is called jdbc2 - does it work with jdbc3, too? *
> |
> | The current naming is somehow unfortunate. The directory simply is
> | named jdbc2 because it is the successor of Paul Ramsey's
> original jdbc
> directory,
> | which still exists in CVS. So, the naming does not refer to
> SUN jdbc
> | standard releases jdbc-1, jdbc-2 or jdbc-3.
> |
> | Please note that the PostgreSQL JDBC driver itsself is released in
> | several flavours for different JDBC relases and sun JDK
> releases, but
> | currently, the same postgis.jar should work with all of
> them. If not,
> | you clearly found a bug, and we kindly ask you to report it.

Ah, ooops ;) For the Win32 installer, I renamed the files to
postgis.jdbc2.jar to reflect the JDBC version - I'll get rid of this in the
next version....

> To your compiling question: classfile compatibility is
> something I did not have in mind yet, but you're right. Newer
> java compilers tend to produce class files that do not work
> fine with older JVMs.
>
> If the postgresql jdbc driver you deliver with your installer
> only runs with java 1.3 or newer, or you document this as
> requirement, then I think -target 1.3 is a reasonable decision.
>
> BTW, I successfully compiled postgis using JAVAC="jikes-sun
> -target 1.1"  for java 1.1 compatibility. :-)

Yes, the PostGIS JDBC driver compiles fine for me with -target 1.1 under the
Sun JDK. I think we should make this the default :)

> Don't forget that there are some some tests in the java
> directory, too.
>
> You can use "make alltests" to run them, they test both
> client and some server functionality, but you will have to
> set up the database connection info via environment or
> makefile. I think this will be the first Windows tests for
> postgis jdbc :-)

The tests appear to run successfully here for me. I just wanted to check
with you as there seem to be multiple entries along the lines of "Finished,
0 tests failed" as opposed to a single grand total at the end. I'll email
the JDBC results to you separately as they are quite long, but it's looking
promising :)

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd