[postgis-users] Has anyone considered interpolation of sparse point networks?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 17 06:29:18 PST 2005

Gerry,

I have done something similar in the past where I have used the points
to create a triangularized 3D surface, using the scalar at the vertices
as the Z value, then you can quickly and easily contour the
triangularized surface by intersecting the triangles with Z-planes and
collect the intersection lines into polylines.

If you search the web for triangular surface algorithm You should find
some code that allow you to insert you point into a plan and have it
develop a surface. Once this is down slicing the triangles is trivial,
an then you need to collect the intersections fragments into a polyline(s).

Does PostGIS have any tools to assist in these steps?

-Steve W.