[postgis-users] Has anyone considered interpolation of sparse pointnetworks?

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Mar 17 15:49:52 PST 2005

Gerry Creager N5JXS writes:

> I'm getting a dataset on a daily basis that we're putting into PostGIS.
>   It's a triangulated irregular network (although others will be
> quadrilateral irregular networks, or irregular polygons) with a scalar
> at the vertices.
>
> I will be saving these in PostGIS, and as part of the visualization
> process (I'll also post appropriate questions toward the Mapserver list)
> we're going to need to interpolate to create a processed, synthetic
> dataset of contours.
>
> This seems like it should be straightforward, but I'm having a little
> trouble organizing a strategy and getting started.
>
> Has anyone else looked at this sort of problem and done something similar?

There are high quality routines to construct a grid from scattered points both on
Paul Sakov's page  http://www.marine.csiro.au/~sakov/   in the Generic Mapping
Tools < GMT> pckage http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/ and in the GNU
Triangulated Surface Library  <GTS>  http://gts.sourceforge.net/

You should fine something suitable amongst these

HTH

Norman