[postgis-users] SQL Crashes Server

Simpson asimpson at i-55.com
Mon Mar 28 09:14:50 PST 2005

Greetings,

I have loaded several states of road data from TigerLine 2004 and now
spatial queries on the table are crashing the server:

 select count(*) from roads WHERE wkb_geometry &&
setSRID('BOX3D(-89.8236106236772 	30.0599242582496,-89.4893166693257
30.2718478483578)'::BOX3D, 4269 );
        before or while processing the request.

I ran "vacuum analyze roads", but it didn't help.

I can run other queries on the table without any trouble.

I tried to search for not isvalid:

tiger2004=# select count(*) from roads where not isvalid(wkb_geometry);
        before or while processing the request.
	The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

It seems there is something in the geometry column of one of the rows
causing spatial functions to crash the server.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine which row is having
issues, or any information on how to fix this?

Thanks for any info,
Drew.

=================================  VERSION INFO
===============================
postgis version 1.0.0-rc4 from 3/18/05
postgresql 8.0
linux  2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 12:13:11 EDT 2002 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

================================== TABLE INFO
=================================

tiger2004=# \d roads
                                   Table "public.roads"
    Column    |     Type      |                         Modifiers

--------------+---------------+---------------------------------------------
----
-----------
 ogc_fid      | integer       | not null default
nextval('public.roads_ogc_fid_s
eq'::text)
 module       | character(8)  |
 tlid         | numeric(10,0) |
 side1        | numeric(1,0)  |
 source       | character(1)  |
 fedirp       | character(2)  |
 fename       | character(30) |
 fetype       | character(4)  |
 fedirs       | character(2)  |
 cfcc         | character(3)  |
 fraddl       | character(11) |
 toaddl       | character(11) |
 fraddr       | character(11) |
 toaddr       | character(11) |
 friaddl      | character(1)  |
 toiaddl      | character(1)  |
 friaddr      | character(1)  |
 toiaddr      | character(1)  |
 zipl         | numeric(5,0)  |
 zipr         | numeric(5,0)  |
 aianhhfpl    | numeric(5,0)  |
 aianhhfpr    | numeric(5,0)  |
 aihhtlil     | character(1)  |
 aihhtlir     | character(1)  |
 census1      | character(1)  |
 census2      | character(1)  |
 statel       | numeric(2,0)  |
 stater       | numeric(2,0)  |
 countyl      | numeric(3,0)  |
 countyr      | numeric(3,0)  |
 cousubl      | numeric(5,0)  |
 cousubr      | numeric(5,0)  |
 submcdl      | numeric(5,0)  |
 submcdr      | numeric(5,0)  |
 placel       | numeric(5,0)  |
 placer       | numeric(5,0)  |
 tractl       | numeric(6,0)  |
 tractr       | numeric(6,0)  |
 blockl       | numeric(4,0)  |
 blockr       | numeric(4,0)  |
 wkb_geometry | geometry      |
    "roads_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (ogc_fid)
    "roads_oid_idx" btree (oid)
Check constraints:
    "enforce_geotype_wkb_geometry" CHECK (geometrytype(wkb_geometry) =
'LINESTRI
NG'::text OR wkb_geometry IS NULL)
    "enforce_dims_wkb_geometry" CHECK (ndims(wkb_geometry) = 2)
    "enforce_srid_wkb_geometry" CHECK (srid(wkb_geometry) = 4269)