[postgis-users] Getting the bounding box of a feature

Menke, Kurt kmenke at edac.unm.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:18:37 PST 2005

Hello,
I'm developing a client in using PHP 4.3.4, Mapserver 4.4.1, and PostGIS
1.0.0 (PostgreSQL 7.4.1).

I need to programmatically access the bounding box of a selected polygon in
a PostGIS feature class so that I can use Mapscript to zoom to it.  I've
tested the SQL below in PostgreSQL and it returns: BOX3D(560748.25 3881950
0,568816.25 3890818.75 0).   However, when I try to dump the results into a
PHP variable I can't seem to access the results.  When I try to echo the
results out to the page I get "Resource ID #68.

I'm not familiar with the BOX3D format.  Is there any info on BOX3D out
there? Does this get returned as a string or an array or something else?  If
there's a better way to do this I would very much appreciate that info as
well.

$extent_sql = "SELECT EXTENT(public.nmranch04.the_geom)FROM public.nmranch04
WHERE (public.nmranch04.ranch_name = ".$ranch.")";

Thanks
Kurt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kurt A. Menke