[postgis-users] Geomtry_columns may not have an oid

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue May 10 04:19:09 PDT 2005

Hi strk,

I agree. I think that most people who have default installations won't be
affected by this until 8.1 so we should be ok. According to the docs there
is no way of adding OIDS back to a table once they have been removed, so the
documented workaround for people already in this situation would have to be
something like:

	BEGIN;
	ALTER TABLE geometry_columns RENAME TO old_geometry_columns;
	CREATE TABLE geometry_columns WITH OIDS AS (SELECT * FROM
old_geometry_columns);
	DROP TABLE old_geometry_columns;
	COMMIT;

(I gave this a quick test under 8.0 and it seemed to work for me)

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way