[postgis-users] Postgis install problem under Suse 9.3

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Oct 4 12:09:31 PDT 2005

--- Poizot Emmanuel <poizot at cnam.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I try to install postgis under suse 9.3. I did install postgresql source
> from YAST utility but I'm unable to locate them (I assume it's in
> /usr/include/pgsql where I found postgres header source files).

Nope. Those are the working files, not the source tree. Look for
..../postgresql-8.0.3/contrib/ (or whatever version you installed) and put your
entire Postgis tree there.

> So I did copy postgis folder in /usr/include/pgsql and cd into it (as
> asking in the README.postgis file).
> But ./configure --enable-autoconf complain about postgresql sources it
> didn't found.
> Does anybody succed installing postgis under suse 9.3 ?

I installed Postgres from source with no problems on SuSE 9.3 A64, I couldn't
find an A64 RPM for 8.0.3, so my source tree was where I put it, I'm not sure
where YaST puts it. I also installed GEOS, GDAL & Proj from source for the same
reason, it all seems to work fine.

If you have installed slocate, and run updatedb, running "locate contrib | grep
postgres" should find the right place for you.

Brent Wood