[postgis-users] create a dataset with a name I already used before

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Fri Sep 23 02:43:28 PDT 2005

Giorgio --

When a table is created with a spatial geometry column, an reference is put into a table called "geometry_columns" -- this might be what is causing your problem as when a table is fropped the reference remains in this table. In postGIS 0.7 this table looks like:
      Column       |          Type          | Modifiers
-------------------+------------------------+-----------
 f_table_catalog   | character varying(256) | not null
 f_table_schema    | character varying(256) | not null
 f_table_name      | character varying(256) | not null
 f_geometry_column | character varying(256) | not null
 coord_dimension   | integer                | not null
 srid              | integer                | not null
 type              | character varying(30)  | not null
 attrelid          | oid                    |
 varattnum         | integer                |
 stats             | histogram2d            |

In 1.0 the table is similar but missing the last 3 columns.

You might manually delete the references to your table using the f_table_name column.

If that doesn't work you might try posting back with postGIS version, platform and a more detailed description of the error you are seeing.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC