[postgis-users] PostGIS setup - Ubuntu Breezy + PostgreSQL-8.1

John Taber jtaber at johntaber.net
Mon Apr 17 07:48:41 PDT 2006

Stefano Costa wrote:
> The objective would be that apt-get install postgis always provides users with
> the latest version of the software, without the pain of adding repositories and
> so on.

Note that main Ubunutu repositories are not designed to be the latest
packages, only an every 6 month snapshot of Deb Unstable plus any major
security updates.  If you want the latest at all times, you need to run
Deb Unstable.  The advantage of Ubuntu is a little more stability while
staying close to up-to-date.  If you try to add newer Deb Unstable
packages, you risk dependency problems (I've tried, had bad experiences,
  and have gone back to just waiting until the next 6 mo release).  But
you can add newer packages to the "Backport" section or have your own
repository with all the necessary updated dependencies and people can
use at their own risk.