[postgis-users] Adding Spatial Index to Existing Table

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Fri Dec 29 21:02:55 PST 2006

If you single quote something PostgreSQL will interpet it as a string ... since they are lower case anyway, try not quoting them at all, of double quote them if you need to preserve case:
UPDATE locations SET point_geom = SetSRID(makepoint(longitude,latitude), 4326);

Or:
UPDATE locations SET point_geom = SetSRID(makepoint("longitude","latitude"), 4326);