[postgis-users] Compatibility with PostgreSQL 8.1.2

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Wed Feb 1 05:11:11 PST 2006

* Bert Hinrichs <a.hinrichs1 at comcast.net> [060201 03:50]:
> >To improve the packages it would be helpful to know where the packages
> >are from and what problems you actually encountered.
> >
> The PostgreSQL packages came from:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.1.2/linux/rpms/fedora/fedora-core-4/
>
> these packages have names like:
>
> postgresql-8.1.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm rather than having the typical fc4 kind of
> label I see on the rpms for the 8.0.6 versions currently at fedora/redhat
> sites.
>
> The PostGis packages came from:
>
> http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms/fedora/fedora-core-4/
>
> The problem was a Failed Dependency on PostgreSQL 8.1.1.  PostgreSQL 8.1.2
> is installed.

OK, so this seems somewhat out of sync.
[...]
> >No. Since PostGIS 1.1.0 you only need the PostgreSQL development
> >packages and can run configure with the
> >
> >--with-pgsql=<FULL PATH to pg_config>
>
> Ok, but I assume that it would still take the srpm versions of the
> PostgreSQL development packages rather than the binary rpm versions of the
> development packages

No. I just tested with SuSE (but expect Fedora to be similar on this):
Install the postgresql -devel and -libs packages and go ahead
building your PostGIS.

> and it would still require a build of the source code
> of PostGis and a manual install taking the management of PostGIS out from
> under the typical yum tool.  Correct?

You could either build manually from tarball or build a personal rpm
from the srpm.

> Does the PostGIS build environment
> have an uninstall capability in case it needed to be removed?

Yes, you could issue a "make uninstall". This can however leave your
current database with something missing (the postgis libs namely).

HTH,

        Frank

--
Frank Koormann                             <frank.koormann at intevation.de>