[postgis-users] Re: [DebianGIS] PostGIS status for debian unstable

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Feb 2 06:06:43 PST 2006

Hi, Alex,

alex bodnaru wrote:

> anyway, i will do the promised improvements, postgis will build and
> depend according to the packages in the current distribution, so after
> 8.0 will dissapear, postgis won't depend on it either.

I remember to have read that packages will not be removed as long as
other packages depend on them, so I think postgis should take the step
and remove the 8.0 dependency.

Another point is that removing postgis for 8.0 will prevent new users
from accidentally jump on the 8.0 train, as well as raise the pressure
for more 8.0 users to upgrade, and both are good things[tm] IMHO.

> in the meanwhile, anybody are invited to use the package on debian gis,
> that will be smoothly replaced by the next release.

Can I make you agree that debian gis might be the correct place for
postgis 0.9 and possibly 1.0, as well as builds for 7.4 and 8.0 servers?

So only postgis 1.1 for 8.1 has to go through the buildds, possibly
using a much simpler bood process.

Btw, instead of having a nasty, complex build config, what do you think
about having a bunch of simple, specialized build configs that are
generated by a script? So you can simply generate the 1.1/8.1 build
config and upload it to debian, and generate the others for debian gis.

This generator script can reside in extras/debian in the upstream CVS
just as the current build code does now.

HTH,
Markus