[postgis-users] could not load library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so"

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Feb 15 06:49:59 PST 2006

Hi, Stefan,

Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> I try to import a shapefile using the shp2pgsql function. But it  gives
> me an error message, and I have no idea what it tries to tell  me... ;-)

> ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so":
> Symbol not found: _resolve_polymorphic_argtypes
>   Referenced from: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so
>   Expected in: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster

It seems that yor plpgsql procedural language is not installed correctly.

Can you connect to the database with psql, and issue the following commands:

create function test(text) returns text as 'begin return
''test''||$1;end' language 'plpgsql';

select test(42);

drop function test(text);

They should work without error. If they give the same error as above,
your plpgsql procedural language is broken.

Did you compile/install your postgresql yourself? Do you have a
plpgsql.so anywhere on your systen (try 'locate plpgsql.so' from your
shell).

HTH,
Markus