[postgis-users] adding new shape data in existing PostGIS table

Kefyalew Sahle kefyalew_sahle at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 09:10:39 PST 2006

 Hello,

I have got problem in adding new data in a table that already exist in PostGIS.
I used the following command
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/shp2pgsql  forest forest | /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -a forestrydb

I received the following message
ERROR:  relation "forest" already exists ...............
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
  When running without any options. The task is aborted. The following is the massage displayed after running the shp2pgsql command:
   Shapefile type: Polygon
 Postgis type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
 BEGIN
 NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "forest_gid_seq1" for serial column "forest.gid"
 ERROR:  relation "forest" already exists
 ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
 ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
 ROLLBACK

Would you please provide me some information how I can append in my existing PostGIS
database new data that is available in shape format?
Thanks in advance

Kef