[postgis-users] postgis installation on current Postgresql (8.1) database (on Debian)

TECHER David davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Wed Jan 11 22:34:57 PST 2006

You need postgresql headers files in order to compil postgis

so do

apt-get postgresql-dev

then install geos

wget http://geos.refractions.net/geos-2.2.1.tar.bz2
tar xvjf geos-2.2.1.tar.bz2
cd geos-2.2.1
./configure && make && make install

do the same for proj 4.49
wget ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj-4.4.9.tar.gz
tar xvzf ...

download postgis-1.1.0.tar.gz
untar it
then install it (./configure;make;make install)