[postgis-users] REVOKE, users and groups

Sergey Karin sergey.karin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 06:00:31 PST 2006

hi all!

panorama5=> select version();
                                version
 PostgreSQL 8.1.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.3
(1 row)

Maybe I do something wrong, but...

I have a table WORKSPACE. Then I create group and grant select to it. Then I
create user and add the user to the group:

panorama5=> create role WsSelector INHERIT;
CREATE ROLE

panorama5=> grant select on workspace to WsSelector;
GRANT

panorama5=> create user the_user;
CREATE ROLE

panorama5=> grant WsSelector to the_user;
GRANT

So, the_user can select rows from WORKSPACE. Next, I want to revoke select
from the_user, but still hold it in group WsSelector.

panorama5=> revoke select on workspace from the_user;
REVOKE

I expect that the_user will cannot select from WORKSPACE, but it can! What's
wrong?

Thanks in advance

Sergey Karin