[postgis-users] point-in-poly query

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Jan 18 12:41:06 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:53:40AM -0800, Jeff Lounsbury wrote:
> Granted I wasn't around for those previous discussions, and my
> computation geometry courses are quite a few years behind me, but:
>
> I find it hard to believe that one could determine the distance to a
> shape was = 0 without using a point-in-polygon algorithm (or at least
> SOME O(n) algorithm at the least) to do it. Therefore I can't see how it
> would be faster to do a distance() rather than within(), although
> obviously a real life test would give you a definitive answer fairly
> quickly.

GEOS doesn't use point-in-polygon algorithm for within().
Rather, it computes full intersection matrix and checks
for the "within" case.
This includes location detection for every graph component.
Graph build and conversion are contribute in some overhead.

We should really add a point-in-polygon short-circuit
either in GEOS or PostGIS. I'd go for GEOS to avoid having
to add the short-circuit in all topology lib wrappers
(GEOS, GEOS-CAPI, JTS).

--strk;