[postgis-users] postgis installation with suse linux

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Wed Jan 25 01:44:00 PST 2006

Samoth,

> I use the German SUSE Linux 9.3. I installed Postgresql with the help of
> rpm. Now I want to compile and install Postgis, but the Path on SUSE Linux
> for Postgres are a little bit different to other Linux-systems.

[...]

> But there is no 'contrib' directory because I installed Postgres with rpm.
> What can I do?
> Where must I place the sourcecode to compile?

AFAIK SuSE 9.3 comes with PostgreSQL 8.0.1. With the current
PostGIS-package (version 1.1.1) installing the corresponding
-devel package from rpm should be sufficient, you shouldn't need to
configure and build the entire postgresql:

- Unpack your postgis-package and run
        ./configure --with-pgsql=<path to pg_config>

- Proceed as usual with make, make install, etc.

HTH,

        Frank

--
Frank Koormann                             <frank.koormann at intevation.de>