[postgis-users] Combinatorial Boundary ?

Jeff Lounsbury jeffloun at refractions.net
Fri Jan 27 09:03:21 PST 2006

"3.12.3.2
The following geometry operations require some topological sophistication ·
Geometry C_Boundary() - will return the geometry of the combinatorial
boundary of the current object. For objects of maximum dimension, such
as areas in 2D, this is the equivalent of the topological boundary. .
For curves this is the union of the two endpoints. For surfaces, this is
the ‘edge’ of the surface (which is the boundary of the object as a 2d
manifold). For complex geometries, we take the “mod 2” union of the
components. That means that a point is in the boundary of a complex
object (represented as disjoint representational geometries) if it is in
an odd number of the boundaries of its component simple geometries."

That might help, I could only find the doc inside the members area of
the OGC site, so I'm not certain I can post the whole thing...

You might just want the ConvexHull() function, a convex hull is:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:convex+hull

Cheers,
-Jeff