[postgis-users] Problem with Buffer function

Michael de Armas (Micotan) michael.dearmas at micotan.com
Wed Jul 12 14:39:20 PDT 2006

I'm trying to calculate a buffer for some geometries, but as I go further
(increasing the distance) it takes more time until it crashes and kills
every connection to PostgreSQL when that happens.

For  example, the statement below:

SELECT astext(buffer(transform(GeomFromText('POLYGON((...))', 4267),
                                   32039),
                          20000));

it takes between 5 minutes and 10 minutes, depending on the server workload,
I guess; when it should take a couple of seconds.

The POLYGON is the WKT for the County of Houston in the State of Texas in
USA (NAD27). In that statement I'm applying a buffer of 20000 feet, but if I
try to calculate a buffer of 10 km (32,808 feet) it crashes.

I have found that it happens with geomtries whose boundaries are a bit
complex (like rivers), but that shouldn't cause such a problem.
(Applying the same buffer on the same geometries with ArcGIS it takes only
one second)

We just updated to the latest versions of PostGIS and GEOS (POSTGIS="1.1.3"
GEOS="2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct 2004" USE_STATS), but it
didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael.