[postgis-users] PostGIS kills all connections to the PostgreSQLserver

Bruce Rindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Wed Jul 19 15:45:42 PDT 2006

My guess as to why this is happening is the shapefile is really poor quality
with intersections (interior loops etc.)  Where did you get it?  ESRI maps
and data CD?
The fix is to do multiple buffers.  I tested your query and it ran in 234
seconds (20000 buffer).
I then ran:
SELECT area(buffer(buffer(buffer(transform(GeomFromText('POLYGON((....
......))', 4267), 32039), 1000), 9000), 10000);

and got the same result in 25 seconds.  I think the first buffer in effect
cleans out the weird parts of the shape and then the rest are acting on a
cleaner shape.   A 60,000 buffer was done in 26 seconds.
Hope an order of magnitude helps!

Bruce Rindahl