[postgis-users] Appomattox 0.1 Released

Scott Ellington scottell.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 04:14:23 PDT 2006

Hello all,

Almost a year ago I posted an email to this list asking about the state
of GIS/PostGIS applications for the GNOME desktop environment:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-August/008883.html

Well, I am pleased to announce the first release of Appomattox.
Appomattox is both a library and an application.  For developers,
Appomattox provides a set of easy to use mapping objects.  Built from
these libraries is the WorkBench application.  Which, as of now, is
basically a spatial data viewer.  Hopefully, with time, WorkBench will
grow to be a full-featured GIS.

Appomattox runs equally well on Windows and Linux, and it currently can
load Shapefile, PostGIS, and Raster data (jpeg, gif, tiff, bitmap, and
png).  Additionally, the Windows version can load ECW images.  For more
information and links to download, please read the release notes:

http://www.appomattox-project.org/Release_Notes_-_0.1

and for those who love screenshots:

http://www.appomattox-project.org/Screenshots

Note: Appomattox is initial-release, alpha software.  There will be
issues.  Please follow the release notes for instructions on filing
bugs.

thanks,
Scott