[postgis-users] Problems with Debian and Postgis

Didrik Pinte dpinte at itae.be
Thu Jun 8 06:18:46 PDT 2006

Le jeudi 08 juin 2006 à 14:53 +0200, Nabil Servais a écrit :
> Hello,
> First sorry for my language, I'm French user.
>  I've installed postgresql 8.1.4 with Postgis on a Debian, there's no
> problem with the compilation.
> But I did an upgrade with apt-get and then, it installed the version
> 7.4.1 of postgre which makes a  conflict between the two versions. I can
> use the program of the version in the folder of install.
> It's also impossible to uninstall the version 7 with apt-get because he
> prevents me of he 's not considered postgresql 7 is installed.

I suppose you're running a Sarge version of Debian if apt-get installed
the 7.x version of Postgres.

At the moment postgis is not officially in Sarge.

Two solutions :

1. you need postgres 8.x : no official sarge build for this. You can
upgrade to Etch, or find an unofficial postgres 8.x version (camptocamp
has one) and use the debian-gis[1] unofficial postgis packages.

2. you can stay with the 7.4 version : you can use directly the
debian-gis packages

I can provide some french help if needed.

Didrik

[1] debian-gis : http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl