[postgis-users] Problem when installing on Windows XP SP2

Lauro Bolado laurobolado at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 23 08:13:45 PST 2006

Good morning.

My name is Lauro. I'm practically new to mapping development so i've been
reading a book in which the main tools used for server storage of geographic
information are postgreSQL and postgis.

So I downloaded the most recent distribution of PostgreSQL for Windows on
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.1.3/win32/ and the PostGIS 1.1.1
distribution on
http://www.webbased.co.uk/mca/pg81/postgis-pg81-setup-1.1.1-1.exe

For the installation I first installed PostgreSQL without the PostGIS
contrib module. Once it was installed, I installed the PostGIS 1.1.1 that i
downloaded from Mark's Development Page. This is also a double click
installed that installs some files within the PostgreSQL main folder. Among
the things installed here are the liblwgeom.dll, libgeos-2.dll,
libgeos_c-1.dll and libproj.dll along with the utilities to convert shapes
to pgsql and the other way around, and the sql scripts to load geographic
functions.

But the problem was when i tried to run those scripts. The first thing that
i do is a "createlang plpgsql template1" to load the language capability
into the template db. I get a response that it is already loaded so i think
there's no problem in there. Next, i try to run the script by using "psql -f
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\share\contrib\lwpostgis.sql" -d template1"

Here i get an error like this:
psql:C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:44: NOTICE:
type "histogram2D" is not yet defined.
DETAIL: Creating a shell type definition.
psql:C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:
could not load library "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/lib/liblwgeom.dll"
The specified procedure could not be found.

And then it throws errors for every query inside the file.

I have been looking for solutions for this problem but i haven't found
anything. I would be deeply appreciated if you could help me on solving this
cause i really want to experiment with digital maps.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Lauro Bolado